Thank you to everyone who joined us at Horseshoe Bay Resort for TXTA Annual Conference. We had our biggest crowd to date with more than 400 attendees. It was great to mix and mingle with all our friends and to celebrate the trucking industry! For those that were unable to attend, we’ve pulled together a few conference highlights—but before we get to that, we want to send a big Texas-sized thank you to our sponsors. You make conference possible! Click here to view our 2022 sponsors and join us in saying thank you!
Foundation Main Event
At this year’s Main Event, we celebrated the “Heart of Texas Trucking” and people were certainly feeling generous and motivated to give throughout the evening. Over the course of the night, we raised $244,626 for the TXTA Foundation scholarship program through our live and silent auctions and paddles up event.
In addition, Greg Hughes with Kyrish Truck Centers, presented the proceeds from the Houston Golf Tournament—$128,394.52 for the Foundation! We also heard from brothers Duane and Wayne Kyrish, who presented a $10,000 check from the Kyrish family.
The evening wasn’t all about fundraising, as we took time to recognize a deserving individual who has gone above and beyond to support TXTA Foundation with the Kay Crimm Award. This year’s recipient was Glenna K. Bruun, who recently left TXTA to accept the position of CEO at the Texas Ports Association. Throughout her time at TXTA, she was a champion for the Foundation and laid the groundwork for the Foundation to continue to thrive after her departure. We are grateful to Glenna for the time and dedication she gave to the Foundation over the years and can honestly say that she is the “heart of Texas trucking”!
Safety/Maintenance Awards Luncheon
The Safety/Maintenance Award luncheon is always a highlight of Annual Conference and gives us the opportunity recognize the best in our industry. Below is a list of this year’s award winners.
TXTA Driver of the Year Sponsored by Roberts, Cunningham, & Stripling, LLP
- Thes Freeney, Brookshire Grocery Company
Texas State Truck Driving Championships
- Grand Champion and Straight Truck – Dennis Mace, FedEx Freight
- Step Van Class – Luis Tarin, FedEx Ground
- 3 Axle Van – David Urrea IV, HEB
- 4 Axle Van – Eduardo Camacho, HEB
- 5 Axle Van – Mario Gonzales, Jr., HEB
- Tanker – Randy Gamez, Jr., HEB
- Flatbed – Noe Gomez, HEB
- Twins – Ronald Ramon, HEB
- Truckload/Sleeper – Robert Gonzalez, FedEx Freight
Distinguished Safety Award Sponsored by Bair Hilty P.C. and Transafe, Inc.
- Van Trimble, Brookshire Grocery Company
TXTA Truck Safety Contest Grand Champion Sponsored by Great West Casualty
- Grand Champion – Chalk Mountain Services of Texas
- First Place in the Intercity under 2.5 million – Jetco DFW
- First Place in the intercity 2.5-5 million – CVS Transportation
- First Place in the Intercity 5-10 million – Double Diamond Transport, Inc.
- First Place in the Intercity 10-20 million – Groendyke Transport
- First Place in the Intercity over 20 million – Walmart Transportation
- First Place in the Local Under 1 million – McRay Crane & Rigging, Inc.
- First Place in the Local 1 to 5 million – Excargo Services, Inc.
- First Place in the Local 5 to 10 million – GulfMark Energy, Inc.
- First Place in the Local Over 10 million – Chalk Mountain Services of Texas
2022 Technician of the Year Top 5 Sponsored by Eaton Cummins Automated Transmission Technologies
- First Place – Corey Tegeler, Old Dominion Freight Line, Inc.
- Second Place – Michael Kerfoot, Dickinson Fleet Services
- Third Place – Bart Prescher, Walmart
- Fourth Place – Christopher Gerrald, Travel Centers of America
- Fifth Place – Beau Hanly, Southwest International
New Officers, Board of Directors and Foundation Trustees
New Executive Committee Officers and Board of Directors members were sworn-in to their new positions at the Board of Directors Meeting.
The new Executive Committee and Board Members are as follows:
- Chairman and Alternate ATA State Vice President – John Prewitt, Tideport Distributing
- Chairman-Elect – Brandon Woods, Refrigerated Transport Inc.
- Secretary-Treasurer – Mark Roesler, Acme Truck Line Inc.
- ATA State Vice President – Marcia Faschingbauer, Excargo Services Inc.
- Vice Chairman at Large – Kevin Mathews, GenOx Transportation
- Vice Chairman at Large – Stacy Elms, Housley Group
- Vice Chairman at Large – Wynne Breeden Jr., K.L. Breeden & Sons
- Vice Chairman at Large – John Craddock, Craddock Moving & Storage
- Immediate Past Chairman – Ernesto Gaytan Jr., Super Transport International
Board of Directors with Terms to Expire in 2025:
- Kevin Arthur, Daimler Trucks North America
- Craig Barker, VOLVO Trucks North America
- Wynne Breeden, Jr. – K.L. Breeden & Sons
- John Craddock – Craddock Moving & Storage
- Clint Curry – Trout Trucking
- Nick D’Andrea – UPS
- Jay Ferguson, McRay Crane & Rigging
- Stephen Greak – Coastal Plains Trucking
- David Hedgpeth – Hill Country Transportation
- J.J. Isbell – Texas TransEastern
- Gene Lee – Lee Trans
- Tracey Maynor – W&B Service Co. & Superior Trailer Sales
- David Price- United Petroluem Transports
- David Simpson – BWI Companies, Inc.
- BJ Tarver – Gulf Winds International
- LouAnn Wagner – Texas Auto Carriers
- Shawn Yarbrough – CPX Trucking
Board of Directors with Term to Expire in 2023
- Malik Henderson – PrePass Safety Alliance
In addition, the Board approved the newest TXTA Foundation Trustees:
- Stacy Elms, Housley Group
- Juan Roberto Fuentes – The Fuentes Firm
- John Thomas – Houston Freightliner
- Dolores Willis – Texas Moving Company
We honored outgoing Chairman Ernesto Gaytan, Jr., Super Transport International, at this year’s Chairman’s Dinner. Ernesto has been an effective leader and guided the association with his expertise on border issues—something that has been at the forefront of trucking this year. We thank Ernesto and his new wife, Melissa, for their service over the past year. We look forward to seeing what great things you do for trucking in the future.
TruckPAC Golf Classic and TruckPAC Reception
124 golfers participated in the TruckPAC Golf Classic at the Slick Rock Golf Course. Even with the Texas heat, it was a great day!
Congratulations to the winning team! (All with W&B Service Company & Superior Trailer Sales)
- Riley Edmondson
- Clyde Hux
- James Tucker
- David Valdez
- Marcelo Sanchez-Lara, Cummins Sales & Service
Closest to the Pin
- Marcus Chester, Kyrish Truck Centers
Later in the day, TXTA TruckPAC hosted a reception to recognize TruckPAC donors and to encourage donations for the next cycle. Between the TruckPAC Golf Classic and the TruckPAC Reception, we raised $59,835 for TruckPAC! It’s never too early to start making your donations for the 2022–2023 TruckPAC Cycle and it can all be done online. Click here to make your donations!
Allied Dinner Celebration
We wrapped up the week celebrating our Allied Members with dinner and entertainment from comedian Mike Vecchione. It was a fun-filled night honoring our allied members and all they do for TXTA and the trucking industry.
Emerging Leaders Council
We proudly recognized and celebrated the graduating Emerging Leaders Council (ELC) class of 2022 at the TXTA Chairman’s Dinner. Graduates included:
- Adam Blanchard, ELC Chairman, Double Diamond Transport
- Josh Maddox, Vice Chairman, Canal Cartage Co.
- Khrista Bishop Roach, Secretary/Committees, Refrigerated Transport Inc.
- John Thomas, Treasurer/Fundraising Liaison, Houston Freightliner
- Beau Brinson, Recruiting/Membership/Affinity, Lonestar Truck Group/TAG Truck Center
- Justin Sowell, ATA State Liaison, Lee Trans
- Hayley Hughes Bach, Kyrish Truck Centers
- Raegan Baskin, Cowtown Express
- Cynthia Champion, Martin Transport, Inc.
- Melissa Gaytan, Laredo Motor Carriers Association
- Jordan Lewis, HUB International
- Kellam Maynor, W&B Service Company & Superior Trailer Sales
- Zayra Mendoza, International Transportation Services, Inc.
- Kim Middleton, CLA, LLP
- Monica Salazar, M. Company Transport, Inc
- Josh Thompson, Self-Employed
- Josh Willis, Texas Moving Company
In addition, we welcomed the ELC Class of 2024 and recognized them at the TXTA Board meeting. The new class includes:
- Darla Alexander, Center Point Energy
- Alex Amescua, Marsh & McLennan Agency
- Phillip Baxter, Crum & Forster
- Autumn DeLee, The Fuentes Firm
- Maria Hernandez, Terrier Transportation
- Jim Herzog, Pressure Systems International
- Ryan Koons, Koons Trucking
- Jakob Romines, Lone Star Hazmat Response
- David Serach, Chalk Mountain Services of Texas
- Konor Swedberg, Double Diamond Transport
- Tricia Parker, Acme Truck Line
- Sonny Thompson, U.S. Truck Parts and Sales
- Christy Torres, Acme Truck Line
- James Tucker, W & B Service Company & Superior Trailer Sales
- Kaylea Wamble, GenOx Transportation
- Jlynn Wells, Wallport Transit Xpress
- Brandon White, Lee Trans
2023 TXTA Annual Conference
We look forward to seeing everyone at the 2023 TXTA Annual Conference. Mark your calendars for July 25–28 at the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa.